Business License:

If you are looking to open a restaurant, bar, deli, hotel or want to have a circus, show or carnival or a peddler’s license you must obtain a business license from the Clerk’s Office of City Hall in Rutland. See details here.


Application for Architectural Review:

In order to preserve Downtown’s architectural character under the Downtown Historic District, specific design guidelines for renovations and new construction have been developed. Those guidelines can be found here or at The Downtown Architectural Review Committee (ARC) must review all plans before the project can proceed.


Building & Zoning Permit Application:

Building and/or Zoning Permits may be required, depending on the project. See guidelines and permit fees to determine which application is necessary for your project.



First/Second Class Liquor License and Tobacco Application:

If you are a restaurant, hotel, club or commercial kitchen you must obtain a liquor license. License Year is May 1st through April 30th of following year. Download a form here. For more information about guidelines or to download individual application forms, click here.


Outside Consumption Permit:

The Department of Liquor Control requires a permit for outdoor alcohol consumption. If you are bar, restaurant, club or hotel with an outdoor area or are temporarily setting up an outdoor space for an event, you must obtain a permit. Download a form here.


Rooms, Meals, and Entertainment Taxes:

Download the application here.


Sign Application and Permit:

A Sign Permit is required for New signage ($50.00 fee) and/or Face change only (no fee). Permits and instructions are available at the Building & Zoning office. Download a copy here or view more details.


Street Banner Application:

The Downtown Rutland Partnership manages the banner sites located on Center Street and Washington Street. All arrangements must be made through DRP by calling 802-773-9380 or emailing the Downtown Banner Application 2018 to speters@rutlanddowntown.comBefore submitting your banner application, please give us a call to check on availability.


Special Events Permit Application:

Any event or gathering taking place in the city’s right-of-way, including but not limited to city parks, city streets, and city sidewalks, requires a permit. Download the Special Event Permit Application.